freedom

freedom

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Lu Lacka Wyco Hundo 2019

The 7th running of the LLWH. This was my 3rd go at this mixed-terrain ride. It features some singletrack, gravel farm roads and lots of hills! 5,000+ to 8,000+ feet of climbing depending on which route you do.

The other years I've done this ride it has been very warm and sunny out. Not this year. We showed up to temps in the 40s and rain all day.

The rain was pretty light and most peoples computers showed an average of 37 degrees.

For whatever reason, I do not have rain gloves. I wore my long finger 'pre-winter' gloves and they soaked through. It was cold enough that I couldnt ride without them. Lessons learned.

Around 300 riders took off at the start. I am not sure how many finished the ride. LOTS of mechanicals and the weather had riders calling it a day early into the ride.

The Gaffney tandem and I did the 60 mile route. We figured we've done the hundo before and this was going to be a good training ride no matter what. Pat is banking on a very rainy PBP.

This was the first really bad weather/conditions I've taken my new bike through. A proper test. Aside from the drivetrain grinding along all day and the grit killing my brake pads, the bike stood up to the test. A few disc brake 'gravel' bikes were dead in the water out there it seemed. I am very happy with how my nod to the 1940s rando bike did.

Due to the weather conditions, I did not take any photos of the ride. Check out https://www.instagram.com/lulackawyco/ for more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment