freedom

freedom

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

PA rando 600k

373.5 miles. About 20,000' of climbing. Lots of that climbing being typical sawtooth up and down leg breakers. And Milbrook which is about a mile long and 14.7 percent grade.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29920291

This is why I wasn't going to do this ride! But I am glad I did.

We left Easton, PA at 4am and were headed to Philly. The group got rolling out quick. I was at the front with folks until the Philly control. There I linked back up with the Gaffney's who made a pit stop at home. From there we rolled to Phoenixville and sat down to eat. Continued out the boring SRT toward Reading. I absolutely loved the switchback climb up to the pagoda. Although I should have not went up in my big ring during a 600... Gavin's talk of the climb beforehand had me excited to steady pace up it.

I don't recall much of the ride beyond this point. Just being wishing I could see all the sights while riding through the Poconos. We did stop and rest at the laundry mat and then took chilly naps at the gas station in Promise Land. Finally we made it to the overnight and I got a shower and not great sleep for about 2 hours. Altogether I think we were at the overnight for 4+ hours including breakfast.

Leaving at 5am the area out of the overnight was real nice and we saw lots of deer. We did stop and eat again before climbing up to El Dred, NY. It was starting to HEAT up now. I was struggling through the Water Gap section. Greg was nice enough to ride with me and stop when I needed to. We did managed to dunk our heads under some running water to cool down for a minute. Len's unoffical stop at the base of the Old Mine climb was a savior. I took my shoes off and cooled my feet in the river followed by a quick lay down.
We rode up Old Mine and then I refilled water again at the restroom before heading up Milbrook. This would be the second time this series that I will walk up this climb. I was not the only one. I know of 7 and I am sure there were more. It's a very tough climb for a second day of a 600 and the heat was not helping at all. Very tough to walk up it with a bike as well! HA.

Arrived at Blairstown needing ICE COLD beverages.

From Blairstown to Easton... the worst 30 miles I've had in a long time. The temps reached up to 101 degrees according to the GPS unit. I was riding very slow and stopping all the time to cool down or dunk my head in the random stream I passed. The last sharp little climbs were tougher than usual. I almost threw up and was down to not enough water. Once I got to Easton I got water and tried to make the last 3 miles without dying.

Many thanks to the volunteers and riders. All said and done, I came out of this ride feeling great about my riding and recovery has been better than any other 600 or even 400.









No comments:

Post a Comment