freedom

freedom

Friday, October 16, 2015

Santa Cruz mountain overnighter

I mapped out(not very well) an overnight trip from Milbrae BART to Big Basin, but the route ran into a dead end or giant fence in this case. I was on the amazing Old Haul Rd., a dirt road starting in Pescadero and ending in Portola Red Woods SP. My not paying close attention to the map had it going further south, nearly into Big Basin. 
It comes to an end at a normal park/fireroad gate. So I of course skipped the warnings and went under the fence only to come around the corner into a really big chain link fence. My route was a no go.

The reason for it not connecting the two parks is a logging company. Hopefully El NiƱo strikes fiercely and takes out said logging company.

So I ended up going into Portola and got a hiker/biker camp site. It was a nice and quiet spot. No other hikers or bikers. 

In the morning I rolled out and climbed my way out of the valley and descended Alpine back to Pescadero. Very pretty road! Then I climbed La Honda(84) into Woodside.

A guy rolled into the Woodside market at 10am and got a coors light, a pint of vodka and a pack of malboros. surviving rough times in Woodside. We chatted a little bit while I had dolmas and falafel for breakfast and he had his coors and a swig of vodka for his. 

From there I went back up Skyline to descend Old La Honda. On my outbound I descended the western side.

Back to Canada Rd and the bike path that lead me to the Milbrae BART.

















No comments:

Post a Comment